Is Networking Essential?

Networking is essential to any business. Love it or hate it, it’s a necessary evil – but it needn’t be so. Within the right environment, and by applying some logic and enthusiasm to the occasion, it can be fun as well as beneficial.

We spoke to Hazel Parsons from Hazel Parsons Wedding & Event Consultancy at our most reason event at Boulestin and she had some top tips for making networking work for your business.

Here are Hazel’s top tips to networking effectively:

  • When considering networking events, look at who the businesses are that typically go to that event. In essence do some research.
  • Consider what it is you want to achieve. What are your objectives?
  • Are the businesses in the room likely to add value to you or your business, or are you trying to resource areas of your business?
  • Contact the organisers and see if they can provide you with an attendees’ list prior to the event.
  • Choose 3 top connections you would like to make at that event and make sure you have thought about what you want from that connection.
  • Make sure you take enough business cards.
  • Think about how your business adds value to their business and think through what you want to say.
  • Spend only 30% of your time talking to your new connections and the other 70% of your time following up with existing connections and clients (as this is as important and likely to generate sales).
  • At the end of the event be sure to thank the host and speakers to keep up relationships for future events and opportunities.
  • The day after the event spend your time emailing the connections you have made from the day before, saying how nice it was to meet them, and your call to action ‘what your business does, you would like to work with them in the future, what you could work together on in the future, and that you hope to see them again soon.
  • Connect with the businesses on social media and maintain your relationship.

Find out more about Hazel Parsons


Article Posted: 21/03/2016